Wednesday, August 12, 2009

2nd Annual Book Blogger Appreciation Week (BBAW) and A MEME!




If you haven't already heard, Book Blogger Appreciation Week is coming up! The dates of BBAW are: September 14-18, 2009. This is the 2nd Annual BBAW, which is organized by Amy of My Friend Amy.

A separate blog has been set up which contains all the information to keep you up-to-date. Here's the basic info as it appears on that site:

WHO: Anyone who blogs about books is invited to participate. In fact, we want everyone who blogs about books and reading to be a part of this week!

WHAT: A week where we come together, celebrate the contribution and hard work of book bloggers in promoting a culture of literacy, connecting readers to books and authors, and recogonizing the best among us with the Second Annual BBAW Awards. There will be special guest posts, daily blogging themes, and giveaways.

WHEN: September 14-18, 2009

WHERE: Here at the new Book Blogger Appreciation Week Blog! (Please note that this year there are three separate blogs and feeds—one for the main event, one for giveaways, and one for awards.)

WHY: Because books matter. In a world full of options, the people talking about books pour hard work, time, energy, and money into creating a community around the written word.

Hop on over to the official site to get more details and to register, vote, and participate. Just click here: Book Blogger Appreciation Week.

I was not a blogger last year, but I connected with tons of bloggers for the first time that week, and had a lot of fun. I hope to be a more active participant this year. I'll begin right now by answering the questions in this BBAW Meme - the abbreviated version for us newbies! You can find the complete meme here: A Book Blogger Appreciation Week Meme.

" . . . We don’t want those of you who didn’t participate to feel left out, so if you didn’t participate last year, how about these questions?"

1) What has been one of the highlights of blogging for you?

One?! One highlight?! I have to pick just one?! Hmmmm. People or books? People or books? People or books? Aha! Definitely THE highlight has been connecting with people who love books as much as I do!

2) What blogger has helped you out with your blog by answering questions, linking to you, or inspiring you?

Oh, there have been so many! Everyone is extremely helpful and supportive. I'm afraid to name names because I'm sure I won't remember them all! I know I have specifically asked questions of the following bloggers, and there are probably others:

Alyce from At Home with Books

Kathy from Bermudaonion

Dar from Peeking Between the Pages

Shelly from Write for a Reader

Toni from A Circle of Books

Anna from Diary of an Eccentric

And a special mention of Jen from Devourer of Books who has been especially helpful to me and a bunch of 0thers on Library Thing.

3) What one question do you have about BBAW that someone who participated last year could answer?

JEEZ. That would have to be, how do you do it? Do you take the week off from work? Do you drink too much caffiene? That's all I want to know. Just how do you do it?

9 comments:

Amy said...

Well, yes I was tempted to take the week off work. ;)

I hope you enjoy BBAW!

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

Great post! This is my first BBAW and I am just hoping to get a chance to take part on the festivities. :)

I think it sounds like a lot of fun. I love the look of your blog.

Gwendolyn B. said...

Why, thank you, Sheila! :)

bermudaonion said...

I'm so glad you're a blogger this year! BBAW was so much fun last year. Thanks for the mention - it's been great getting to know you through your blog.

Darlene said...

Thanks for the mention Gwendolyn. I'm always happy to help. I have to say that Amy probably could have used the week off-she worked really hard for all of us. It's a fun week though and I hope you'll have tons of fun this year.

Jenners said...

I'm really looking forward to participating in this for the first time! And so many of those who helped you also helped me as I got started blogging! It really is a wonderful and supportive community.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

It really is a great community and new blogs are such a welcome addition, except for the desire to read ALL of them which is as bad as wanting to read so many books! Definitely coffee and less sleep are in order! :--) And as for Amy - I think there are actually SIX of her!!! :--)

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Your answer to question #1 is great - clever way to get PEOPLE and BOOKS in there! :)

There's A LOT going on during BBAW, but you'll be able to prep some of the posts ahead of time (themed memes or the blogger interview if you do it). Don't try to do it all ... well, you can try, but don't say I didn't warn you!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I think BBAW will be even crazier this year then last simply because so many more people are participating. I hope we all survive!