Recently I heard about Susan Hill's book, HOWARD'S END IN ON THE LANDING in which she chronicles the year she spent reading only her own books. I'm not ready to go to that extreme, but I do intend to make reading through my own TBR pile a priority for 2012. Adam's challenge specifies that you can only read books that you have owned for at least one year - so they must have been published prior to January 1, 2011. This requirement will force me to pick some books that have been languishing for far too long. Also, I only have to read 12 books - but I must specify which ones (along with 2 alternates in case something turns into a dreaded DNF). I also like the idea of signing up with Adam's challenge because he is a new-to-me blogger and it's fun to connect with new, like-minded people. I'm not discounting the possibility of signing up for other challenges that encourage me to read my own books, but this one is for sure.
Click here to get more information about the 2012 TBR Pile Challenge or to sign up.
Here's my "official" list. Books can be read in any order. I'll link each title to my review as I post them.
1, THE SPIRITUALIST by Megan Chance
2. THE LAST DICKENS by Matthew Pearl
3. THE ELEGANCE OF THE HEDGEHOG by Muriel Barbery
4. DOWN THE NILE by Rosemary Mahoney
5. KISSING GAMES OF THE WORLD by Sandi Kahn Shelton
6. THE GOOD THIEF by Hannah Tinti
7. THE ROSE OF YORK: LOVE & WAR by Sandra Worth
8. THE PROFESSORS’ WIVES’ CLUB by Joanne Rendall
9. PEONY IN LOVE by Lisa See
10. SERENDIPITY by Louise Shaffer
11. CLEAR SPRINGS by Bobbie Ann Mason
12. FREE FOOD FOR MILLIONAIRES by Min Jin Lee
1. THE DISAPPEARANCE OF IRENE DOS SANTOS by Margaret Mascarenhas
2. SEA OF POPPIES by Amitav Ghosh
Now that I've done this, I can hardly wait to get started!