I've been following the posts of both Kathy at Bermudaonion's Weblog and Julie at Booking Mama as they post their favorite recipes for cookies for the holiday season. Today's the day we get to post our own favorites and link up for a Virtual Cookie Swap. Kathy and Julie posted so many wonderful recipes that I want to try, it's hard to imagine that there's room for more. But here's my offering for a traditional cookie. Betcha can't eat just one!
Peanut Butter Thumbprints
(makes about 3 dozen)
1 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth - your preference)
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt (if you use salted butter, you can leave this out)
Additional sugar (for rolling in -- tee hee!)
Favorite jam (I usually go for raspberry)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Mix the first 6 ingredients at medium speed until fluffy.
2. Add the next 4 ingredients and beat in at a low speed.
3. Chill for several hours (both you and the dough!)
4. Form dough into balls about 1 inch and roll in extra sugar.
5. Place onto greased cookie sheet and indent centers with thumb.
6. Fill indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon of jam.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes.
9. Eat (especially good with milk!)