Tuesday, September 13, 2011

R.I.P. VI Challenge - September 1st - October 31st



September 1st through October 31st
Hosted by Carl V. at Stainless Steel Droppings

I'm jumping on board the R.I.P. VI Challenge hosted by Carl V. at Stainless Steel Droppings. Even though this is the sixth year the challenge has run, this is the first time I've joined it. I'd be looney not to - I read so much that qualifies and the requirements are so broad, the only way I'll fail is if I don't post my reviews. That's the real challenge for me!

I'm commiting to the challenge on three levels: books, short stories, and movies. Here's an excerpted description from Carl's post followed by a listing of my personal choices. As I post reviews, I'll link them to the lists below.

"The purpose of the R.I.P. Challenge is to enjoy books that could be classified as:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.


"The emphasis is never on the word challenge, instead it is about coming together as a community and embracing the autumnal mood, whether the weather is cooperative where you live or not."


"Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (my very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be Stephen King or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming or Edgar Allan Poe…or anyone in between."

1. CLAIM OF INNOCENCE by Laura Caldwell (Thriller)
2. GHOST ON BLACK MOUNTAIN by Anne Hite
3. THE TAKER by Alma Katsu
4. THE HANGMAN'S DAUGHTER by
5. TWO FOR SORROW by Nicola Upson
6.
7.


"You can read short stories any time during the challenge."

1. THE LOTTERY by Shirley Jackson
2. A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND by Flannery O'Conner
3. THE PEAR-SHAPED MAN by George R.R. Martin
4.




". . . for those of us that like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare
during this time of year.  It may be something on the small screen or large.
 It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows, or your favorite film"

1. --To Be Decided --
2.

3 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Gee Gwen, you have some good ones lined up for this challenge. I love RIP, and have read The Night Stranger so far for it and listening to Duma Key, Stephen King as well.

bermudaonion said...

Good luck!!

Kailana said...

You look like you have a lot to look forward to! The Lottery was really good. I look forward to your thoughts on everything else!