Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ditto Doubles: Is She or Isn't She?


Time for a little bit of fun.

I've been collecting some likely suspects for this feature on duplicate images on book covers.  I'm hoping some of you will chime in on these. What do you think?

Same cover girl with Photoshopped hair redo? I'm leaning toward yes, but I'm not all the way there.


Q: A Novel
by Evan Mandery























And what to you think about this one?  Clearly, it's not the same photo, maybe even a different couple, but I do think it's the same alleyway. The lamps look the same. What cinches it for me (or maybe "clinches" it, considering what these couples are up to!) is that damaged spot on the lower left wall.

THE GERMAN WOMAN
by Paul Griner




















Okay. Now that we've all strained our eyes, let's reward ourselves with an obvious duplication:


THE PAINTER FROM SHANGHAI
by Jennifer Cody Epstein




















I think all these covers are beautifully done no matter how it was accomplished. And as is usually the case, I think the insides of these books look pretty good, too! Click on the titles for full descriptions.

7 comments:

Jennifer | Mrs Q Book Addict said...

I really like these type of posts. Mainly because I never notice similar covers. The girl I think is different. The alley way is the same, and I think the last one has the same girl.


Great post!

bermudaonion said...

I'm not sure about the top 2, but I think you're right about the alley and the bottom set is definitely the same.

Amy said...

I'm not sure about the girl in the first two, but it very well could be the same girl. The alley is the same, and of course the girl on the last one is the same.

What a fun post!

Zibilee said...

I am thinking yes for all of these. The girl in the first picture has a very distinctive look, and I am pretty sure that she is also the same girl in the second picture. I love these posts. They are so interesting!

Tina said...

First one=- I don't think so, but it could be. Middle one ...a definite maybe although it may be more the b/w setting than the actual models. Third one is a yes...no brainer.

I think this feature is lots of fun--so glad you collected this for us.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I think you are right about all of these. I think a lot can be done with Photoshop. These covers sure make for fun conversations.

avisannschild said...

I don't think the first two are the same girl, though I agree that they look very similar. The stock photo for the second pic is here and she is a real strawberry blond.

As for the second set of pics, I do think that's the same alley. And here's a third book that matches these two!

Finally, I also found the original stock photo for the third set of pics and thought you (and your readers) might be interested in seeing it. It's interesting how much the photo was cropped!