Monday, January 25, 2010

Lookalikes: Something Old; Something New


I was scrolling through Google Reader last night and, at one of my favorite stops, I came across a Mailbox Monday post at MarjoleinBookBlog.  Marjolein has received the Dutch version of RUBY RED by Linzi Glass. The girl on the cover looked familiar. 

I read A NORTHERN LIGHT by Jennifer Donnelly a few years ago and loved it, but I hadn't heard of RUBY RED or Linzi Glass. The description has intrigued me, and I'll be adding this title to my TBR list for this year. I also want to check out her other novel, THE YEAR THE GYPSIES CAME.

What about you? Have you read any of these books or either of these authors? What did you think of them? If not, do they sound good to you? I gotta say, with those covers, they look good!
RUBY ROOD
(Dutch edition of RUBY RED)
by Linzi Glass

Description (from the publisher): In Ruby Winters' world, colour opens some doors and slams others shut. Her opulent Johannesburg neighbourhood is a far cry from the streets of Soweto where anger and hatred simmer under the surface. Ruby can't resist the blue-eyed Afrikaans boy who brings her the exciting rush of first love, but whose presence brings hushed whispers and disapproving glances. She might not see race, colour or creed - but it seems everybody else does. For Ruby, making some choices means letting others go, and as the darkness begins to descend, she must find a way to follow a brighter path...This dazzling novel will entrance teenage and adult readers alike.

A NORTHERN LIGHT
by Jennifer Donnelly

Description (from the publisher): An astonishing and heartbreaking debut—the story of a young woman's coming-of-age and the murder that rocked turn-of-the-century America.
In 1906, sixteen-year-old Mattie, determined to attend college and be a writer against the wishes of her father and fiance, takes a job at a summer inn where she discovers the truth about the death of a guest. Based on a true story.

Thanks for inspiring this post, Marjolein!

7 comments:

MarjoleinBookBlog said...

Hi Gwendolyn!
So much fun to read this! (and that people even READ my blog, ha!)
I had the same thought with that cover, I knew it from another book I was sure! T same thing is going on with North of beautiful by Justina Chen and Evermore by Alyson Noel, same girl on the cover!
hope you will visit my blog more, I will certainly read yours!

bermudaonion said...

I'm amazed at how often they use stock photos.

Zibilee said...

I hadn't heard of either of these books yet, but they both look interesting. I will have to try to check them out!

brizmus said...

For two covers that look so similar, it's weird how the Northern Lights cover totally makes me want to read it and the Ruby Red cover incites no desire at all. . .

Gwendolyn B. said...

brizmus: I understand. I prefer the cover to A NORTHERN LIGHT as well. With the other book, the similiarity caught my eye, and the description drew me in.

Kathy: And I'm amazed as well! On one hand, I think every book deserves a unique cover but, on the other hand, it's fun finding these replicants!

Marie Cloutier said...

The second one looks interesting to me. And yeah, it looks like they used the same picture. At least it's a nice one and seems to suit both books.

Debbie Rodgers said...

I find this Lookalike series to be delightful. Thanks so much for your superior memory and willingness to share what you find!