Tuesday, May 26, 2009

LOOKALIKES or I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!

I'm a big fan of the Alea's lookalike postings at her blog, Pop Culture Junkie. She has an amazing eye for spotting similarities on book covers, whether it's just a trend or a stock photo that has been reworked, a cover model used frequently, or even an illustration based on a famous painting. So I was pretty excited when I saw this cover of MIDNIGHTERS #2: TOUCHING DARKNESS by Scott Westerfeld on Fyrefly's Book Blog yesterday because I just knew I'd seen the photo before!



So, I hunted it down and, sure enough, I found the book I was thinking of: SHELTER ME by Alex McAulay.

Then I thought, I better be sure before I post this. Aaannnndd, sure enough, Alea had already found it! Last October! See it here, and browse through her other postings while you're at it. They're very interesting.

See? I should have known better than to try taking on the master!

10 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh, I agree - Alea is the master. It looks like you've got a good eye, too, though.

wisteria said...

Hi Gwendolyn...I have something for you on my blog.

Hugs...Wisteria

PS...I just saw that you have Mary Magdalene in your collection. I thought it was awesome. I have read all of Margaret George's books...what about you. I love, love, love them.

Missy B. said...

Hi! There is an award waiting for you on my blog http://missysbooknook.blogspot.com.

Zibilee said...

It always surprises me when I see two books with the same cover. I know it shouldn't, but it always does.

Lisa said...

Good find! How do you find the second one? I mean, I can see myself thinking "oh, I saw another book like that!" but then how do you go about figuring out what book it was?

Gwendolyn B. said...

Lisa: I actually bought SHELTER ME last winter, partly because the cover just drew me in. I had to look hard at the two covers though before I was completely sure because the differences in coloring. (I asked my 8 yo nephew if he saw anything similar in the two covers and he said they were both creepy!)

Wisteria and Missy: Thank you so much, and I will be posting and sharing the award this week -- I promise!

Kathy: It's so nice the way you always find a way to make a person feel good about themselves!

Wanda said...

'Shelter Me' has something in common with this book too!

There is something special for you here ...

Marie Cloutier said...

almost looks like the same model!

Marie Cloutier said...

I gave you some awards here: http://www.bostonbibliophile.com/2009/05/awards.html

Gwendolyn B. said...

Wanda: Yes! Both books came out around the same time. This could lead to another kind of post - Same Name, Different Story!

Marie: Thank you! You are so kind! I'm feeling very welcomed into the blogosphere!