The great folks at Hachett Book Group are at it again! They have authorized me to give away five (that's 5!) copies of the paperback novel, THE NIGHT GARDENER by George Pelecanos. Pelecanos is a terrific writer and one of my favorites. Don't pass up this great opportunity to win a copy of this book. (Rules for entering the giveaway can be found at the bottom of this post.)
From Publishers Weekly Starred Review:
Pelecanos (Drama City) delivers a dignified, character-driven epic that succeeds as both literary novel and page-turner. In 1985, the body of a 14-year-old girl turns up in a Washington, D.C., park, the latest in a series of murders by a killer the media dub "The Night Gardener." T.C. Cook, the aging detective on the case, works with a quiet, almost monomaniacal, focus. Also involved are two young uniformed cops, Gus Ramone, who's diligent, conscientious and unimpressed by heroics, and Dan "Doc" Holiday, an adrenaline junkie who's decidedly less straight.
Fast forward 20 years. Detective Ramone, now married with kids of his own, investigates the murder of one of his teenage son's friends. The homicide closely resembles the earlier unsolved Night Gardener murders. Holiday, now an alcoholic chauffeur and bodyguard, follows the case on his own and tracks down Cook, long retired but still obsessed with the original murders. While the three work together toward a suspenseful ending, Pelecanos emphasizes the fallacy of "solving" a murder and explores the ripple effects of violent crime on society.
Become a fan on Facebook
RULES FOR ENTERING THE GIVEAWAY:
- Leave a comment on this post telling me you would like to win.
- Include an @ with your comment so that I can contact you if you do win. Use a spam-thwarting format such as geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com. You must leave an @ in order to qualify.
- You can earn an extra entry by being or becoming a Follower or Subscriber of this blog and telling me about it in a separate comment.
- Blog about this contest and provide me with the link to the post in a separate comment, and I'll give you yet another entry.
- Tweeting about this contest and providing me the link in a separate comment will get you one more entry. (Sorry, right now I only Tweet - Digging, Stumbling, etc. have not yet made it into my repertoire.)
- Winners must provide a U.S. or Canadian street address. Hachette is unable to deliver to PO Boxes.
- Deadline for entry is 12:00 midnight, Wednesday, June 17, 2009 EST.
- Winners will have 3 days to respond to my email announcing that they have won; if I don't hear from a winner, I will draw another name.
GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!
THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED.