To celebrate my 10th post, Hachette Books has authorized me to give away 5 copies of Billie Letts' book, MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Rules for entering the drawing are below. Please read them carefully.
The bestselling author of WHERE THE HEART IS, Billie Letts, returns with a heartrending tale of two children in search of a place to call home.
Lutie McFee's history has taught her to avoid attachments -- to people, to places, and to almost everything. With her mother long dead and her father long gone to find his fortune in Las Vegas, 15-year-old Lutie lives in the god-forsaken town of Spearfish, South Dakota with her twelve-year-old brother, Fate, and Floy Satterfield, the 300-pound ex-girlfriend of her father.
While Lutie shoplifts for kicks, Fate spends most of his time reading, watching weird TV shows and worrying about global warming and the endangerment of pandas. As if their life is not dismal enough, one day, while shopping in their local Wal-Mart, Floy keels over and the two motherless kids are suddenly faced with the choice of becoming wards of the state or hightailing it out of town in Floy's old Pontiac. Choosing the latter, they head off to Las Vegas in search of a father who has no known address, no phone number and, clearly, no interest in the kids he left behind.
MADE IN THE U.S.A. is the alternately heartbreaking and life-affirming story of two gutsy children who must discover how cruel, unfair and frightening the world is before they come to a place they can finally call home.
* Includes a Reading Group Guide
"A heartbreaking tale about love, loss and survival that will stick with the reader long after the last page is turned." --- Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)
"Gripping...unflinching...Letts's best work since her stunning debut novel." --- Associated Press
"Heartfelt...Letts is at the top of her game." --- Dallas Morning News
"Deeply moving and entertaining."--- New York Post
I haven't read this book yet, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I will!
Rules for entering giveaway:
- Leave a comment on this post telling me you would like to win.
- Include an @ with your comment so that I can contact you if you do win. Use a spam-thwarting format such as geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com . You must leave an @ in order to qualify.
- You can earn an extra entry by being or becoming a Follower or Subscriber of this blog and telling me about it in a separate comment.
- Blog about this contest and provide me with the link to the post in a separate comment, and I'll give you yet another entry.
- Tweeting about this contest and providing me the link in a separate comment will get you one more entry. (Sorry, right now I only Tweet - Digging, Stumbling, etc. have not yet made it into my repertoire.)
- Winners must provide a U.S. or Canadian street address. Hachette is unable to deliver to PO Boxes.
- Deadline for entry is 12:00 midnight, May 10th, EST.
- If I can figure out how to use random.org, that's what I'll use; otherwise, it'll be entries drawn from a hat!
(Have I covered all the bases? If I've messed up on this, my first giveaway, please let me know!)
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED.
I will email the winners shortly.